Ayamase, also known as Ofada sauce, designer stew, as well as Obe-ata-iru (pepper and fermented locust beans stew) originates from the Yoruba people of Ogun, a state in southwestern Nigeria. It is a street food in Ogun state, but a festive meal for the rest of the Country.
Its base ingredients include, green bell peppers, onions, a mixture of green and red scotch bonnet peppers, Iru (fermented locust beans), bleached palm oil, and assorted meats.
This sauce is delicious and easy to make and enjoyed typically with Ofada rice.
Ayamase Sauce Recipe
- 6 Large Green Bell Peppers
- 4 Medium Onions
- 1 kg Assorted Meat This is a combination of beef, cow tripe, kpomo
- 4 Hard Boiled Eggs
- ½ cup Iru also know as Locust Beans
- 1 tbsp Crayfish
- Salt to taste
- 3 Stock cubes
- Palm oil
- 1 tsp Garlic
- 1 tsp Grated ginger
- Cut meats into bite sizes
- In a pot, add meats, 1 chopped onion, minced garlic, thyme, grated ginger, salt, and 2 stock cubes. You can marinade the meats over night to deepen flavor.
- Place on medium heat, do not add any water and stir meat if meat wasn’t left to marinade.
- Cover the saucepan and let meat cook on low heat for 20mins. It is important not to add water, as meats on low heat releases its own juice slowly.
- After 20mins, check meats to confirm release of water then increase heat to medium and allow to cook till its tender little to no juice left.
- While the meat is cooking, remove seeds from bell peppers and combine with scotch bonnet peppers, and onions in a food processor and pulse coarsely.
- Place pepper-onion blend in a pot put on medium heat to reduce water content dries out.
- Rinse Iru to remove dirt
- In a pot, pour bleached palm oil and fry meats till its lightly fried, then scoop it out.
- In the oil, pour in chopped onions for 2mins, add iru and fry further for 2mins. This will flavour the oil.
- Add in boiled peppers and stir gently for 6-10min or till oil flows to the top of the sauce.
- Add crayfish then meats, little stock and stir.
- Taste for salt or seasoning, add more if need be.
- Set heat to low, add boiled eggs and cover pot and gently simmer for 5mins.