This is a vegetable soup. That originated among the Efik- Ibibio people of Akwa Ibom State and Cross River State in Southeastern Nigeria.
Edikang Ikong Soup Recipe
- 1 kg Pumpkin Leaves
- 250 g Water Leaves Talinum Triangulare
- Assorted Meat Such as Ribs, Cow Skin, Cow Tripe
- Stock Fish
- 2 tbsp Ground Crayfish
- 1 cup Periwinkle
- 1 – 2 Medium Onions
- 2 Habanero Pepper
- 2 Bell Pepper
- 200 ml Palm oil
- Stock Cubes to Taste Ether Beef or Chicken
- Salt to Taste
- Wash, cut the pumpkin and water leaves separately into tiny pieces.
- Use a sieve to drain out all the water as much as you can.
- Cut the beef, kanda, shaki and stock fish into small pieces.
- Put them in a pot with very little water.
- Add the diced onions, stock cubes and cook until they done and soft.
- Add the palm oil, crayfish, and pepper.
- Allow it to boil for about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the periwinkle, pumpkin and water leaves and salt to taste.
- Allow it to cook for 8 more minutes or less. Do not over cook
- Stir properly, turn of heat and allow it to sit for about 5 minutes