Ghee (Clarified Butter)
Different countries have unique names for ghee. Cultures infuse different spices in ghee when making it as well.
In the Northern part of Nigeria, Ghee is known as “Mai Shanu”, it’s literal translation means “Cow’s fat”.
Ghee evolved out of the primal need to preserve butter.it is made by eliminating left over milk and water present in butter.
Ghee (Clarified butter) Recipe
- 900 g Unsalted Butter
- Sprig of Thyme optional
- Quartered Onions optional
- In a small pot, combine butter and chosen spice (if using)
- Bring butter slowly to a boil over low-medium heat
- Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- When it boils, it will become clear and golden in colour.
- Take off the heat and allow to cool down a bit.
- Strain using a cheese cloth.
- Store in air-tight container.