We often do not have on hand, a key ingredient required in our recipes. Are you out of coconut milk but have a coconut? Follow this easy method to make your own. Its gluten and lactose free. It is excellent for use in soups, curries, rice, and smoothies.
- 1 Coconut
- 2 cups hot water
- You can use either of these methods below
- Using a grater/food processor, grate/pulse to chop the coconut.
- Pour 2 cups of water over it
- Let it stand for 30mins.
- Strain to sperate the milk from the chaff.
- Store or use milk.
- In a blender, use 2 cups cold water instead. pour coconut meat and blend.
- Using a cheese cloth, strain the liquid to separate the milk from the chaff.