Easy Homemade Pita bread
Pita breads are extremely easy to make and requires just a few ingredients. Traditionally made using sour dough starter, this variation will use yeast as a leavening agent.
You can make the dough ahead and the bread is freezer friendly as well.
It pairs well with soups and stews, as well as plain olive oil as a dip.
Easy Homemade Pita bread Recipe
- ¼ cup Whole Wheat Flour 35g
- 2 Unbleached All-Purpose Flour 310g
- 1 cup Warm Water
- ½ tsp Sugar
- 2 tsp Active Dry Yeast
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ cup All-Purpose Flour for dusting.
- In a Large mixing bowl, pour 1 cup warm water, add yeast and sugar, stir to dissolve.
- Add the whole wheat flour and a ¼ cup of the all-purpose flour and whisk.
- Keep mixture in a warm area uncovered for about 15mins, for the yeast to become active.
- When mixture has visible bubbles, add salt, oil and the 1 ¾ cups of all-purpose flour left.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until mixture comes together roughly.
- Dust mixture with a little bit of flour reserved for dusting and knead for 1min.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for 2mins.
- allow dough rest for 12mins covered, then knead again for 2mins
Tips: Add dusting flour with restraint as dough mixture should be soft and moist. Dough can be refrigerated in a Ziploc bag overnight at this point and brought back to room temperature before proceeding.
- Put dough back in a bowl, and cover with a cling film. Place bowl in a warm area and allow dough double in size.
- Heat oven to 475 degrees, place a heavy-duty baking sheet or skillet on bottom of the oven
- Divide dough into 8 roughly equal balls and keep covered.
- Remove 1 ball and flatten to about ¼ inch thick, and a 6inch circle.
- Place dough 1 at a time in skillet. Bake for 2mins on one side and about a min on the other. pita should be golden pale.
- Transfer each ready pita to a napkin-lined basket and cover to keep bread moist.